Our Behaviour Guidance Policy
There are numerous aspects as to the whys and wherefores of children’s behaviour and this handbook addresses only the basics of our behaviour guidance here at Gumnut Community Preschool. As your child’s teachers, we see our role as one that establishes guidelines that support children to make sensible decisions about their own behaviours and challenges them
to look outside of themselves to see the effects of their actions.
Our behavioural guidelines consist of 3 basic rules or goals:
• Always be SAFE
• Always be KIND
• Always be FAIR
These three simple points guide everything we do and we teach the children why we do things in certain ways using these points. An example of this can be seen at morning tea time;
We stay SAFE by:
• Washing our hands before morning tea to prevent the spread of germs
• Sitting on the mat with legs tucked in or at a table with the chair tucked in
To be KIND we:
• Wait for everyone to be seated before starting
• Use manners like “please” and “thank-you”
To be FAIR we:
• We keep an open mind to different ideas
• We show respect to diversity
You may find us asking the children lots of questions when guiding their behaviour such as “What are you doing?”; “What might you be doing to stay kind fair or safe?”; and “What can you do to make things better?”. When children answer these and other questions, they are making
a decision about what their behaviour should be like to be safe, kind and fair.
When children decide this for themselves, they are far more likely to follow through with their decision than when we try to regulate their behaviour with our ideas.
This type of behaviour guidance takes time, effort and consistency to ensure long-term changes in children’s behaviour, but the results are well worth it! We also see Parents and Educators as a team who communicate and consistently follow through with behaviour guidance, so please speak to our educators about any difficulties you may be experiencing at home and we will share what we are experiencing at Preschool.
Our staff consistently provide:
• Excellent supervision
• Effective role modeling
• Environments that offer safety yet provide appropriate challenge for children’s development
• Engaging experiences based on the interests of the children
• Reinforce children’s self-esteem
• Acknowledgement and encouragement of childs efforts